With summer in full swing, many companies and organizations are employing temporary workers to scale up for the seasonal volume of work increases or to cover for regular employees who are out on vacation leave. The same is true for project-specific workers, seasonal holiday employees, and even independent contractors who spend time on-site working for your business. This is a great solution that offers the temporary help needed for businesses. With all the benefits of having temporary workers on board, it’s still important to remember the security risks that come along with hiring temp employees.
These risks can come in a variety of forms, such as theft, fraud, cyber crime, or even workplace violence. It’s important to guard against each of these threats so that you provide a safe working environment for your employees and protection for your business property.
Here are a few suggestions to safeguard your business and your employees:
- Have a system in place to require a full HR screening of ALL applicants, even those who will only be employed for a brief time.
- Traditional hard keys should only be assigned to necessary personnel. Most temporary employees do not need keys to the building or other secure areas of your business.
- Consider installing an access control system which utilizes key card and offers complete control over who has access to which parts of your business. And that access can be changed or revoked as needed.
- Issue ID badges as part of the key card access control system to maximize efficiency and weed out anyone who is not authorized on the premises.
- Have a monitored surveillance and alarm system set up inside and outside the building to protect from internal and external threats
- Sign in / sign out sheets are another way to verify who is in the building at any given time. This can be helpful if some property, such as laptops, phones, or files go missing – you will know who had access during that time frame.
- Offer lockers or other places for employees to secure personal items and protect them against theft.
How Sonitrol’s Security Measures can help:
Sonitrol offers a state-of-art Managed Access Control System that integrates with its all-premise security system to safeguard your employees, visitors, business property and facility. Once you have carefully screened your temporary help, Sonitrol’s Managed Access Control System provides the security measures needed to protect entrances, access to sensitive areas, keep track of where and when each employee is in the building, and make immediate changes to limit or remove access for each specific employee.
Our system saves you the trouble and expense of changing locks when a temporary employee leaves the job, helps you to track the movement of employees and authorized visitors throughout your facility, and allows you to restrict access by location and even time of day. Plus, all access control activity is monitored 24 hours a day from our central station by security professionals.
If you would like to learn more about reducing the risks that can come with hiring temporary workers, then contact Sonitrol to talk with one of our security experts.